How to Get an Accident Report From The Broward County Sherriff’s Department

Car accidents are a part of life on the busy interstates and streets across Broward County. When you are struck by careless drivers, car insurance providers for those drivers don’t always immediately accept blame and provide support for your recovery.

Insurance adjusters may try to pin the blame on you. A crash report from an investigating officer, like a Broward County Sheriff’s Deputy, can help you avoid taking the blame for a collision you didn’t cause. If you will be filing an accident claim, you’ll need to know how to secure this important document.

What Do I Need to Know to Request an Accident Report?

You may need a boat accident report or a car accident report after a collision in Broward County. If a Broward County sheriff’s deputy investigated your accident, then you’ll be requesting a report copy from the Sheriff’s Office’s public records unit. You can find more information about the process here.

If you have hired a Broward County Car Accident Attorney, your lawyer will secure this report for you. If your accident only involved property damage, your insurance agent may also secure this report.

One very important requirement to remember…Florida law requires that you complete and have notarized a Sworn Crash Affidavit (refer to attachment section) attesting that you are entitled to receive an accident report (please review the form to make certain you are eligible). You can find that affidavit form to download here.

There may be a small fee charged for your records. The Sheriff’s Office can only accept checks or money orders.

Securing a Crash Report from the Broward County Sheriff’s Department

Online Request:

You’ll find the online request portal on the Broward County Sheriff’s Department’s Website. This will likely be the fastest way to get your report. You should wait at least a week after your accident to request a report. This will give the officer time to complete it.

You should have this information on hand.

  • the case number (if available)
  • date, time and location of the event or accident
  • the name(s) of the person(s) involved.
  • Sworn crash affidavit (see above).

In Person:

While you may make a request in person, your request will be entered by staff into the public records unit work queue.  This may take some time. You also won’t get your report on the day you visit. It will be emailed to you.

If you want to make a request in person you can utilize the kiosk in the Sheriff’s Office lobby. The lobby and the Public Records Office are open Monday-Thursday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Broward Sheriff’s Office
2601 West Broward Boulevard
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33312

If you go in person, be prepared for a security screening (including passing through a metal detector and X-ray of hand-carried and other objects) to enter the Public Safety Building.

Try to have a case number, the date, time, and location of the accident, and the names of the people involved on hand. You will also need a signed and notarized affidavit affirming that you are eligible to get this report (see above).

By Phone or Mail:

If you have accessibility issues you can call in your request at 954-831-8700.

You can also send a written request to…

Broward Sheriff’s Office

Public Records Unit

Attention:  Erin Foley, RMLO

P.O. Box 9507

Ft. Lauderdale, FL  33310

Should I Contact My Lawyer After a Broward County Car Accident

If you are seriously injured due to a careless driver’s mistake, you should discuss your options with a skilled Fort Lauderdale car accident Lawyer. If you are hurt in a boating accident by someone’s carelessness, it’s also a good idea to find out what your injuries are worth, before an insurance company tries to convince you that you should pay your own recovery bills.

You should also contact Cowen Edwards Trial Lawyers if you are being unfairly blamed for an accident. Knowing your rights and about every benefit available to accident victims can keep you from losing out on valuable compensation.

There’s no risk to speaking with Cowen Edwards. We offer a free consultation to all Broward County victims. There’s no obligation for this free case review, and if you decide we can help you secure more in support, you won’t need to worry about having the money to hire us. We don’t get paid unless we win your case for you and your family. Then, our fee comes out of the settlement money you are awarded.