How to Fill Out a FLHSMV Crash Report-90011s

After a car accident on a busy Fort Lauderdale highway, you may be quickly calling 911 to get help for injured victims and to get officers on the way to conduct an investigation. But sometimes, accidents aren’t that serious and you may wonder if you need to contact authorities or report the accident at all.

In Florida, there are clearly defined circumstances when you must contact law enforcement after a crash. Sometimes a minor accident doesn’t require a police response, but in most cases, you’ll still have to self-report your accident. You’ll need to download a Crash Report-90011s form.

When Do I Need to Call The Police After a Florida Traffic Accident?

The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV) explains when drivers in crashes are required to contact law enforcement immediately after an accident if…

  • The crash involves an injury.
  • The crash involves a fatality.
  • The crash involves at least $500 in estimated vehicle damage or property damage.
  • The crash involves a hit-and-run.
  • The crash involves a DUI.
  • The crash requires a wrecker to remove the vehicle.
  • The crash involves a commercial motor vehicle.

A violation of this duty is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation. However, any person who knowingly repairs a motor vehicle without having made a report is guilty of a first-degree misdemeanor.

Self-Reporting a Florida Accident With a 90011s Form

If an accident doesn’t reach these requirements above, car accident victims can self-report by filling out a “Driver Report of Traffic Crash (Self Report)” form online (Form 90011s).

The form should be completed unless a law enforcement officer was present at the scene and will be writing up a crash report.

Drivers in accidents have 10 days to fill out the 90011s form and submit it. They can find the form here. Fill out the form and sign and date it.

You’ll then email the form here…

Self-Report A Florida Accident By Mail

If you’d rather mail in your Driver Report of Traffic Crash form, print it out and fill it out.

Once complete, mail a copy of the report to:

Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles
Crash Records
2900 Apalachee Parkway, MS 28
Tallahassee, FL 32399

Make sure to keep a copy of the submitted report for your records and insurance purposes.

What to Do After a Florida Accident

If your accident only involves property damage or very minor injuries, you can probably handle an insurance claim on your own.

But if your accident involves more serious injuries, like a broken arm or head trauma, you should discuss your case with a skilled Fort Lauderdale Car Accident Lawyer. Insurance companies for at-fault drivers like to find ways to avoid taking responsibility for major accidents, especially when the cost of medical care will be high.

You might need a lawyer to protect you from the common tactics insurance adjusters use to rob you of the recovery support you’ll need. You should also speak to a lawyer if you are being blamed for a car crash you didn’t cause. You can schedule a free, no-obligation case consultation with Cowen Edwards Trial Lawyers to find out what your injury could be worth.