Cowen Edwards Trial Lawyers represents car accident victims hurt in collisions involving Uber cars in the Fort Lauderdale area. Our Fort Lauderdale car accident lawyers offer free consultations to all injured victims. Contact our offices to find out what your case may be worth and how to hold an Uber driver and Uber itself fully responsible for what you’ve been through.
Do I Need a Lawyer After an Accident Involving Uber?
After an accident involving an Uber driver, you may need the help of a lawyer to avoid losing out on valuable benefits. This is especially true if you suffer a serious injury in your accident, like a bone fracture or a head injury.
Uber can afford corporate lawyers and the best insurance adjusters. They’ll be trying to downplay your injury and their driver’s mistake so they can get away with offering you less than what your injury is worth. Your Fort Lauderdale Uber Car Accident Lawyer investigates your case and backs your case with strong evidence so Uber can’t find excuses to reject your injury claim.
Uber Accident Hazards in Fort Lauderdale
Uber can be on the road all day, but they’re usually doing a lot more than driving while behind the wheel. They will be logged into the Uber app and glancing at it for notifications about potential customers. They’ll have to physically touch the phone to accept a ride request. They’ll also be distracted by the mapping function on their phones. An Uber employee would also have to deal with distractions from riders. They could also be tempted to drive recklessly just to make a pickup or drop-off on time.
All of these job hazards can leave an Uber driver unfocused on the road. They can ram your car when they don’t notice a traffic light change to red along Broward Boulevard. They could cause a major wreck while you are riding in an Uber vehicle.
Drivers, passengers, and Uber customers may suffer devastating injuries and then wonder if the driver and the driver’s employer can be responsible for providing compensation. Your Fort Lauderdale car accident lawyer determines every party that may be held accountable. If Uber shares in the blame, your Cowen Edwards representative isn’t afraid to take on a major corporation to earn you full support as you heal.
When Is Uber Responsible for an Accident?
Uber drivers are required to carry auto insurance, but in an accident, The Uber Corporation might also have to provide insurance support.
Your lawyer can help you determine where to send your injury claim, but generally, an Uber driver and the driver’s employer would be liable in the following situations:
- When The Uber Driver Is Responsible. The driver will likely be the only one liable if the Uber employee is driving around without the Uber app open. This means they are off the clock. You’d be seeking support from the driver’s insurance provider. Uber usually wouldn’t be liable in this situation.
- When Uber Is Responsible for an Accident. Uber drivers will be liable for any mistakes they make, but their car insurance policy will usually only provide the minimum in coverage. Victims may reach the policy limit before they can pay for all of their medical bills. That’s why, if Uber is also found liable, victims would usually want to direct their injury claims toward Uber’s more substantial insurance coverage. Uber would be responsible if the driver is traveling with the Uber app open and seeking customers. If an Uber employee has the app open (is on the clock) and an accident occurs, Uber offers up to 100,000 in injury support to all victims. This would be available to passengers in the Uber car and to those hurt in other vehicles due to the Uber driver’s mistake. If an Uber employee is on the way to pick up a rider or has a rider in the vehicle when the accident occurs, Uber may accept responsibility and offer victims up to a million dollars in coverage.
A skilled Fort Lauderdale attorney would also bring up additional concerns about Uber’s business model. Your lawyer might point out Uber’s lack of training for employees. Your lawyer may discover that before hiring the driver, Uber’s faulty background checks didn’t reveal a dangerous driving history. All of these factors can make it easier for your lawyer to hold Uber fully accountable for your injuries and suffering.
Compensation Available for Uber Car Accident Victims
If you are struck by an Uber driver, it’s critical to get a few pieces of information and evidence while on the scene to build your case. If you are left strong enough, take photos of the accident and any signage that identifies the other car as an Uber vehicle.
Get witness contact information. Exchange information with the Uber driver. Try to get an employee number from the Uber employee.
Your rideshare accident lawyer will be using this evidence and witness testimony to file a claim that Uber will have trouble rejecting. Your lawyer demands a settlement check for you that considers these and other factors:
- Totals on current medical bills and estimates on the cost of care in the future.
- Long-term costs associated with a permanent physical disability.
- Pain and suffering. This includes the physical pain you endure and the emotional trauma you are put through.
- Loss of enjoyment of life.
- Loss of consortium. Dealing with the loss of intimacy with a partner.
- Travel costs as you must find ways to get to and from doctor appointments while you’re injured.
- Money for car repairs or car replacement. Reimbursement for personal property that was damaged while you were a passenger in a rideshare car.
- Income and benefits you’ve lost while missing work.
Contact a Fort Lauderdale Uber Accident Lawyer
In Florida, you have up to two years to file a car accident injury claim. But act quickly, because the longer you wait, the harder it will be to track down evidence and witnesses after an accident. You’ll need this evidence when you face off against Uber’s corporate lawyers and insurance adjusters.
Allow Cowen Edwards Trial Lawyers to handle the stress and frustration of battling insurance companies and Uber’s legal teams, while you use that time to focus on healing. Contact us to schedule a free consultation and tell us what happened. Let us know about your biggest hardships since the accident and then let us go to work holding a careless Uber driver and the driver’s employer fully liable.
Our free case review comes with no obligation, but if you do end up needing our help, you don’t have to worry about having the money to hire us. We don’t get paid unless we win your case. Then our fee comes out of the settlement money you receive.